Monday, June 21, 2010

Watching The World Cup, Changkat Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur


I'm sure that all cities in the world are putting on a good show for the World Cup and KL is no exception.
All along Changkat Bukit Bintang just about everywhere is showing it,some of the coffee shops like SK Corner are even showing matches in HD.
Gypsy Bar,which is not really a sports bar at all airs matches with commentary (inside) for some the main matches and then plays music for the remainder. This can be a good thing when the match is boring or those bloody vuvuzela pipes become too annoying.
I find the aircon inside just too bloody cold now that they have doors at the front and sitting outside on the new bar stools is still the best option but you don't get the sound.
Most other places along the street have commentary throughout.
I was at Havana for the Holland v Denmark match-along with about 300 orange people and one lone Dane.
It was a good atmosphere but it was totally spoiled by the fact that the staff just couldn't cope with what was about 10 times their normal Monday night crowd....Even though they knew of the Dutch invasion.
My first beer was served in a warm glass-yuck!
My second beer was served in a plastic glass as they had run-out of glasses-double yuck!
There was no third beer as I decided to go elsewhere.
Note: Havana now has a Happy Hour price of RM 10 for a small Tiger.
I saw the second Dutch game at Healy Macs and I must say that I quite like this place and may have been a little harsh on my earlier review.
Apparently,all draft beers are served at Happy Hour prices all night long (and have been for a while)
A bucket of Tiger Crystal is RM 55 for 5 and they were even promoting Bavaria Beer (remember the Dutch models all dressed in orange mini-dresses) for RM 49 for 4 beers.
A pretty good atmosphere and good service.
I was also here for the brilliant Canadian GP and have to say that the quality of their Tiger Draft is amongst the best on the street.
Yeah, Healy Macs seems very good for sporting events.
And it's RM11 for a Tiger all night.
Which is nice.
All we need now is some good footie from England to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment